jeudi 20 novembre 2008

Change

Reading the news today I found out that Google was closing Lively, its virtual world browser application. It didn't strike me more than that because I was not the biggest fun of this application to which I had found several bugs, difficulties to connect and no special or original features. But, since it wasn't a bad application either, in my lab we were thinking of using this tool to support collaboration and community building among our distance master students. For different reasons, it finally never happened.

We have been using for more than a year Pageflakes with our students. But for the last month it wasn't working anymore in Geneva. So one of the main tools used in one of the courses, with all the information and work that we had done with it was inaccessible for unknown reasons. Now it miraculously works again so everything got back on tracks.

As far as I am concerned, that raises some issues about criteria for choosing and using web2.0 tools for teaching or even for personal use. But as Toffler said once "change is not necessary to life, it's life" and the laws of consumption seem to rule these changes.

Aucun commentaire: